It's not for the faint of heart.

Welcome to my slightly silly, often odd, and mostly messy life.





Monday, December 6, 2010

Letters, Ground Rules, Good Friends, and the Holidays

Letters: Drama Momma (former mother in law) sent the kids cards. I assumed they were Christmas cards and let the kids open them without looking at them first. A mistake on my part. They were "wish you were here" and "miss you so much" kinds of things that just made the kids feel bad. I'm sure she meant well - but she just never thinks about how her actions effect the kids. What a dolt...

Ground Rules: The kids will be going to Drama Momma's house on Christmas day for a few hours to visit with family that is in town and to exchange gifts. Their therapist thinks that it's a good idea to keep one or two of the kids most beloved traditions, so I'm going to allow this. I'm going to have to have a firm talk (again) with the in-laws and go over the ground rules - not that I have any faith she'll follow my requests. Ugh, I hate this.

Good Friends: I spent Sunday with a good friend. We shall call her Goldilocks. We took a long walk, we baked cookies, we talked. Goldie is great because she's very no nonsense. She'll tell you exactly what she thinks. She is also the kind of mom that makes sure her kids help clean up before she leaves. She'll wash her own dishes or bring over a nice treat...she's just considerate. I used her impending visit as a motivator for my youngest two kiddo's to get their room all organized and cleaned before the holidays. It looks SO nice and when Goldie and her kids left it was still all organized - WIN!

Holidays: I'm lacking the holiday spirit big time this year, but I'm going with the theory - Fake it until you make it. I'm hosting a cookie and gift exchange. I've decorated the house and wrapped all my holiday gifts. I'm playing the Christmas tunes... I figure the spirit has to come over me at some point right?

2 comments:

  1. I try to be that "considerate" mom by making my kids clean up, use manners, etc. There's nothing worse than that parent who says, "No, they don't have to do that." Yes. They. Do.

    Ugh, the Drama Momma thing is too much. Makes my head hurt.

    Sending hugs and holiday spirit your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks T :) I'll just keep praying; "God give me the strength not to strangle that woman!" lol

    I also try and be considerate. If you go to someone else's house it's nice to leave it in the same shape -if not better than when you arrived.

    ReplyDelete