It's not for the faint of heart.

Welcome to my slightly silly, often odd, and mostly messy life.





Monday, March 14, 2011

Mmmm... Spuds....

Yesterday was my father's birthday dinner.  He said he didn't want anything too elaborate.

I decided to take a suggestion Ethel made a while ago and run with it.  I made up a baked potato bar.  I baked up about 16 nice large russet potatoes.  Then I set out steamed broccoli, different cheeses, butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, salsa, little sausage bits, and several other toppings. 

I also made a large green salad, set out some fresh berries and grapes, and served my dad's favorite seven layer dip and chips for an appetizer while I got dinner ready.

It was a hit.  He was a very happy man!  There was carrot cake for dessert, cards and gifts were opened, and BLT even got him a six pack of his favorite non-alcoholic beer (due to his Lupus meds my dad had to give up all alcohol... and he misses his beer.  We found him his favorite brand in a non alcoholic version!) to enjoy with dinner.

I think we all had a good time. My house is spic and span clean from the party prep, and I made one of the people I love most in the world very happy.  I'll call that a success!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, no kidding! That was a great idea. As we age, birthdays are less about the 'what' and more about the 'who', 'when', 'where' and 'why' anyway. Nice thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet. And, I absolutely love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMMM! I'm so glad this was a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winner, winner, Birthday dinner!! Neat idea too - everybody can get what they want.

    ReplyDelete